Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lemme tell you about a guy I know...

A few months ago, I got an email out of nowhere, from Reese Butler, the founder and CEO of Kristin Brooks Hope Center. He was looking for someone for his Board who would champion a cause that was especially dear to his heart, the 1-800-PPD-MOMS suicide hotline.

Now, I have to admit, I had to do a little googling to learn more about KBHC and when I did, I saw the potential for a wonderful partnership between KBHC and The Mommies Network. I set up a time to talk with Reese on the phone and there began a new journey in my life.

I really admire people who can see a problem in our world and work to fix it. Those are the innovators, the visionaries of our time, and whenever I have the chance to spend time with someone like that, I feel my own excitement growing and am encouraged that anything we put our mind to, we can accomplish.

Even more so, I admire those who are intimately affected by the problem they see in the world and still strive with passion to resolve it. That's a special kind of person.

Reese Butler lost his wife to suicide due to postpartum psychosis. His world crumbled that day and everything that was truth suddenly didn't make sense.

He immediately channeled his grief and devastation into a passion to ensure that no other mother would ever feel like Kristin did, that no other mother would feel that taking her life was the only option. He developed Kristin Brooks Hope Center in her honor and has worked tirelessly for the last decade to provide resources for those struggling with mental illness and to eradicate suicide in our world.

I have spent a good bit of time talking to you about servant leadership and the characteristics of a person who leads by serving those around him. But nowhere could I find a better example of a person who puts those characteristics into action every day than Reese Butler. His passion for helping others is tangible. His empathy toward those who are suffering is overwhelming. He believes wholeheartedly that, working together, we can bring an end to this preventable manner of death -- and he inspires so many others to join the crusade with his passionate example.

A good leader inspires those around him to succeed and to believe in themselves. He paves the pathway, forging forward, and ensures that no one gets left behind on the crusade.



This weekend, after months of phone calls and emails, I finally met Reese in person. It was like seeing an old friend and I knew I had found a kindred spirit. The world is a better place because of people like Reese -- imagine if all of us started serving our teams the way Reese does. We truly can change the world, if we are all working together and looking out for each other.

Put your servant leadership skills into action today! Make a difference!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. You know I think that it is so important to bring awareness of PPD and PPA to those who just don't understand, and to the women experiencing it who just don't know that the support is out there.

    ReplyDelete